Hello and Welcome to my pottery marks blog. Simply due to alot of time wasted on-line searching marks and dates for pottery I have decided to set up a simple blog with as many pottery marks and dates as I possibly can, putting all potters marks and information in one easy to access web-space. Please follow my post to the right for information about the marks I have reviewed for the blog. I will update daily in between nappy changes and feeds. Please send me all your potters marks and info to my queries email address retrovintique@live.co.uk were I will sort through them and post them here on my blog. This is going to take the best part of a year to complete without anyone's help:( So please bear with me.

Authors Notes

The Potteries of Stoke-on-Trent is a unique city in England.

It is made up of six distinct towns: Tunstall, Burslem, Hanley, Stoke, Fenton and lngton - collectively known as "THE POTTERIES".

Saturday 8 December 2012

Elijah Cotton/Lord Nelson


Elijah Cotton best known as Lord Nelson were the manufacturers of earthenwares at Hanley, Staffordshire and operated the Nelson & Victoria Potteries using the trade name 'Nelson Ware' from 1885 to 1981.

According to a journal in 1893 the business was built on the site of a previous works founded in 1758.

Elijah Cotton opened a new factory in Hanley, Stoke on Trent named 'Nelson Pottery' in 1885 and also took over the local  Victoria Works.

Here is some of their pottery marks.

Please also note that earlier Nelson Ware was not marked.

To be continued........

1 comment:

  1. Hi George, Stumbled over your pottery marks site,some good work being done here.
    I have Goddens like every serious enthusiast should,but his book stops short in many areas and seriously requires 'Updating'.
    I have one criticism with your site though ? that awful text you are using!! yuk!!
    Having difficulty actually reading it?
    It seriously would look more professional if it was changed?
    Snap! I am currently under going a 'WORLD POTTERY MARKS REGISTER'
    Being a real nutter of collecting Teapots,you can see why!!
    I currently have 5,000+ in my collection which covers world wide, with many rare ones.
    I would gladly share some marks with you,but time is an issue just know as i run a building company, and we are really stretched at 6 days a week following all these storms!!
    My data base goes back 10 years or so,and have amassed maybe several thousand marks.
    I'm sure we shall have many conversations from now on,so until another time,keep plugging away!!!

    Paul Clark (Kent)

    ReplyDelete